Tuesday, April 29, 2008

They are going to revoke my "Mom" license


So all that gabbing we do while waiting for meetings to start has a purpose after all.

Today while in the parking lot of Super Target, I locked my keys in the car, unfortunately Kaiya was in the car too. Now, before you call Child Protective Services on me, let me tell you what happened. So, I have lost my car keys (yes, I lost them AGAIN), and I am using the valet key, which doesn't have a remote door unlock thingy on it. So I get out of the car, walk around to the passenger side and open the back door to get Kaiya out. When I open Kaiya's door her new toy falls out, hits the curb and skids under the middle of the car. So I stick my bag (with the keys inside) on the floor board in front of Kaiya and climb under the car to rescue the toy; I finally get the toy, and then I do something I have done a thousand times before. I open the front door, open Kaiya's door, and lock the car from the front passenger side door. Then somehow, while I was in the process of turning around to get Kaiya out of the back seat, a gust of wind comes along and shuts her door!

That was one of those seconds that seem to take a year, as it dawns on me that my keys are inside with Kaiya. The door wasn't even
shut it all the way, just enough for it to latch, I frantically tried to yank open the door, but to no avail. Luckily, my phone was in my back pocket, so I whipped it out and called Jamie, who was working on an Eagle Scout project with one of his boys. He hopped in the car and began speeding towards Lewisville. Normally that drive would take 15 or 20 minutes, but it was 5:15 so it could take forever for him to get there!

At this point Kaiya is happy, and thinks it is funny that Mommy is waving to her from the wrong side of the glass, but it doesn't take too long for her to start to get grumpy. So Kaiya starts to cry and I call Jamie to see where he is. Traffic...that is where he is; that is when the gabbing before meetings comes in handy. My friend Breanna had the same thing happen to her, and the police came to unlock her door for her. So I decide to call 911. They were very nice and told me that they would send someone right away. 5 minutes pass, Kaiya is crying on and off, 10 mintues pass, Kaiya is crying more. Then some guy who was parked next to me sends out the Target security guard, who comes out to make sure I'm not a hooligan. That was nice because it distracted Kaiya, and the nice security guard spent the next 15 minutes trying to reach the police to find out why they aren't there yet and making faces at Kaiya, who is crying less, but starting to sweat.

Then Jamie calls and says he is 5 minutes away; maybe a minute later we hear the fire truck. Some very nice men with mustaches jump out and begin to collect their gear, it seems to take FOREVER, but just as they all begin to gather round for operation "Brain-dead Mom", Jamie comes tearing around the corner (I don't even want to know how fast he was going, but bless him for doing it). I shout "MY HUSBAND!" but what I really mean is "MY HERO!!!" and Jamie runs over and unlocks the door. Big hugs and a few tears ensue.

Kaiya was sweaty, and her lips were cracked from crying with chapped lips, but otherwise she was just fine. We went into Target, sat in the cafe and fed her dinner before heading home.

Thank goodness for amazing men who drop everything to rescue a crazy lady...and firemen too.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Ahhh! That is one of my worst fears! Poor girl. She's had a traumatic week!