Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Kaiya's First Trip to the Zoo!


So, I know it is the first week in February, and we should all be bundled up to our noses and hiding indoors, but yesterday it was 83 degrees here! So Kaiya and I just couldn't stay home. We decided to head up to the Fort Worth Zoo, and we had a great time. Kaiya was the perfect tourist...


This was also the first time she has worn the sunglasses out of the house. She likes to wear them on her changing table and stare up at the lights on the ceiling (yeah, I don't get it either), so I thought we would try them out in the sunshine, and she thought they were just about perfect. She actually wore them and didn't try to pull them off!

It was funny, I brought two hats for her, a white one (in the picture above) and a yellow one. I put the white one on her first, and it was too small, so I switched to the yellow one. As soon as I put the yellow one on her, she snatched it off her head. So I put the too small white one back on her, and she was as happy as a pig in mud; she left it on all day. Silly girl!

Here is the action sequence with the bothersome yellow hat...




But enough of the fashion report, back to the main event...the zoo. We started off with the primates, and Kaiya was very attentive. I would hold her up and point to them, and she would just concentrate so hard on them. She seemed to like the chimpanzees, but I think that was because she could get so close to them since they were behind glass. We went by the flamingos, which were excessively noisy.

She also liked a little turtle in an aquarium that was very active; but her favorites were the otters. And who can blame her? We pulled her stroller up to the
tank, and the otters were swimming and playing right in front of her. She would watch them go by, then when they got out of her view she would stare intently until one came back, then she would kick her legs and flap her arms and just get so excited! She even started pointing at them, which is a new milestone for her. When one would come by, she would look at me and point, to make sure I was looking. It was the most fun part of the day. We stayed there for quite some time, and I think Kaiya would have stayed all day; but time was getting short and naptime was looming, so we had to leave our first foray into the animal kingdom, but we will be back, and I think next time, we will start with the otters.

2 comments:

Blake and Meg said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so jealous!!! It looks like you gals had so much fun. I'm so sad I missed it! I can't wait for next time--hopefully I won't have the head cold.

Jennifer said...

Hey, that yellow hat looks familiar! What a fun time you two girls had! The Ft. Worth zoo is the best! Next time the Churchwell girls will join you!