So I searched and searched for the right one for her, and finally found it...

She was so excited!

In fact, she was so excited, that most of the pictures we have of her on it, she is concentrating very hard, and won't even look at the camera...

Well, we had the cycle about a week or so when the "Unfortunate Incident" occured. Kaiya was riding the cycle in the play area, which is tile; and she stood up on what is essentially the front axel. It's the red cross piece, that has a wide plastic thing, that kinda looks like a foot rest? See it in the above picture? Well, Kaiya stood up on that thing and leaned forward. She consequently went face first into the tile; or I guess more specifically teeth first into the tile.
Kaiya was crying harder than I have ever seen her cry before, and bleeding like crazy. I couldn't tell, but it looked like the blood was coming from between her gums and front teeth. It was quite scary. She usually bounces back very quickly from falls, but not this one. She cried for almost an hour. Eventually the bleeding stopped, and I let her suck on an ice cube (which she loves to do) and we read her favorite book of the week "Curious George and the Puppies" so that kind of cheered her up. I think one of the craziest things was that she never even got a bump or red splotch on her nose or forhead, so she really did take the whole brunt of the fall on her teeth.
I called the dentist, and she was semi helpful. She said there was nothing they could do until the trauma went down, and if the tooth fell out, don't worry about it, it's just a baby tooth. Kind of comforting I guess.
The next day when she woke up, her poor little gums were black & purple and her front teeth were wiggly. VERY scary to me, so I called Tara's pediatric dentist, and they told me that the teeth will probably re-secure themselves into the gum, but that it is fairly likely that one or both of them will turn grey!!!! Contrary to popular belief, a grey tooth does not neccesarily mean that the tooth is dead, and in this situation it is more that the blood has gotten down in the tooth cavity and essentially made a permanent "bruise" inside her front teeth. I mean SERIOUSLY people, is this insane or what???
One thing I was proud of her about was that she did get back on the cycle, and she still likes it. We are just a little more strict on the Evel Kenievel action now.
So that was over a week ago, and her teeth are less wiggly and still white, but it could take a month until we know for sure what the status of them is...I just keep telling myself, "at least it's a baby tooth...at least it's a baby tooth"... anybody have any advice???
5 comments:
Poor little sweetie! I love the new look of your blog!
Holy Cow thats so sad!About 6 or 7 months ago Maura totally was jumping in our kitchen (where there is obviously tile) and she totally ate it! She chipped one of her front teeth and I was devastated and noticed it in EVERY picture but I don't even notice it any more, so just keep telling yourself they are just baby teeth and if anything happens you will get used to it, I promise!
Daniel and Ben overheard me talking to you on the phone about all of this so they've been praying for "Baby" Kaiya at every prayer (which with Beasey includes every time we get in the car - apparently my driving scares him) since the phone call!
Ouch! Poor thing - and I do mean both you and Kaiya. Luckily she is tough and not wanting to miss a minute of her cycle. :)
Post a Comment