Sunday, July 20, 2008

"Diggin' The Dancing Queen...."

I have a new favorite movie. This statement is not used lightly, or the title given flippantly. I love the new movie "Mamma Mia".

In the beginning, there was ABBA. I first became aware of ABBA in 1995, when I saw the movie "Muriel's Wedding" on a rainy 4th of July. That movie had the message I needed to hear, right when I needed to hear it, and it communicated a large portion of the message through ABBA music, and ever since then, I love the band, and the song "Dancing Queen" has been my signature song.

Now I had heard the hype about the musical Mamma Mia, but I never got the opportunity to see it. So imagine my surprise when I was sitting in a theater watching previews, and the trailer for the movie Mamma Mia came on. Now here is Tristen's weekly confessional: I am a crier. I cry at movie trailers, and I always cry at musicals (I have a whole theory about why life should be a musical). So when the MM trailer came on, I was a bawl baby.

SO! Long story even longer...I went to see the movie tonight with Jen, and BAM! I am in love. The cast is AMAZING, (Mrs. Weasley totally steals the show) and of course, how can you forget Colin Firth (aka Mr. Darcy...sigh...). The movie is everything a musical should be, whimsical, a little over the top and just FUN! The three friends, Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski, and Julie Walters are perfect and so much fun. I could see my friends & I in them.

SO!!! GO SEE IT & tell me what you think!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think your new 3 column layout looks fabulous! Good job!

Chris said...

I am so jealous. We have not found a baby sitter here yet, and it is not really a movie I think that Nicholas would sit through....hmm.

We even toyed with coming back to texas for the weekend so that we would have a baby sitter and could go see it.

Glad to hear it is wonderful... maybe I will try harder to get to know some young women...

Insane said...

Sigh - I remember that July evening where we discovered ABBA during Muriel's Wedding!!! Good times! :)
And, I don't know if you saw, but Mamma Mia is coming to Fort Worth on September 9-14...
http://www.mamma-mia.com/ustour/fortworth.asp

Jan and Larry Myers said...

Oh, to see it at Bass Hall would be fabulous! Unfortunately I'm a little tied up the September dates and it's nowhere near here till then. So I think it calls for a great afternoon movie as a change of pace!

Vicki H said...

This is my new favorite movie, too! I was lucky enough to see the play in London a few years ago and hoped the movie would be as good! IT IS!! I want to go spend some time on that gorgeous Greek island!!